Bitter Brews vs Bubbly Beverages: Beer vs Seltzer in the Drink Industry
The Rise of Seltzer
If you’ve been to a bar, grocery store or anywhere in public in the past few years, you have probably noticed the impressive rise in popularity of hard seltzers. These bubbly beverages are everywhere and it seems like every week, a new brand is released on the market.
So, why has this fizzy drink become so popular? Let’s take a look at some of the reasons:
- Low Calorie: Most hard seltzers contain fewer calories than traditional beer or wine, making them a popular choice among those who are conscious of their calorie intake.
- Sweet and Fruity Flavors: Hard seltzers come in a variety of flavors such as mango, black cherry, and peach, making them a refreshing option for those who want a sweeter drink.
- Convenience: Hard seltzers are often sold in cans, making them easy to transport and perfect for taking to social gatherings or enjoying outdoors.
The Love of Beer
Although hard seltzer has gained a considerable amount of attention, beer is still considered one of the most popular alcoholic beverages in the world. There is no better feeling than cracking open a cold one after a long day or relaxing with friends on a weekend.
So, what makes beer stand out in the drink industry? Here are a few reasons:
- Richer Flavors: With a wide variety of styles, beers come in a variety of complex and rich flavors, ranging from the bittersweet malty flavors of an IPA to the nutty, spicy flavors of a winter ale.
- Strong Culture: The beer industry not only offers a great product but also has a strong culture surrounding it. From brewery tours to beer tastings and festivals, the beer community has something for everyone.
- Versatile Pairing: Beer is an excellent accompaniment to a wide range of cuisine, from burgers and pizzas to steaks and seafood.
Which One Should You Choose?
Choosing between hard seltzer and beer depends on the individual’s taste preferences and situation.
For those who want a low-calorie, sweet and fruity drink that is easy to transport, hard seltzer may be your best option. However, if you’re looking for a rich, complex flavor that pairs well with a variety of food choices and has a strong culture around it, beer may be your go-to.
Ultimately, it is about what fits your personal taste palette, lifestyle, and preference.
What are some popular hard seltzer brands?
Some popular hard seltzer brands include White Claw, Truly, and Bon & Viv.
What is the alcohol content of hard seltzers compared to beer?
Most hard seltzers have an alcohol content between 4-6%, while beer usually ranges from 4-9%, depending on the style.
Can you mix hard seltzers with other drinks?
Yes, hard seltzers can be mixed with other drinks such as fruit juice and even beer to create unique cocktail creations.